Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

1 Nephi 19

What caught my attention this morning were Nephi's words -

"And the God of our fathers, who were led out of Egypt, out of bondage, and also were preserved in the wilderness by him, yea, the God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, yieldeth himself, according to the words of the angel, as a man, into the hands of wicked men, to be lifted up, according to the words of Zenock, and to be crucified, according to the words of Neum, and to be buried in a sepulchre, according to the words of Zenos, which he spake concerning the three days of darkness, which should be a sign given of his death unto those who should inhabit the isles of the sea, more especially given unto those who are of the house of Israel."  (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 19:10)

First Nephi makes it perfectly clear that it was the Savior that was the one that is the God of Abraham , Isaac, and Jacob.  The same that led the Israelites out of Egypt.  The Savior is Jehovah, the God of the Old Testament.

But what also caught my attention were the words of Zenos "which he spake concerning the three days of darkness, which should be a sign given of his death unto those who should inhabit the isles of the sea, more especially given unto those who are of the house of Israel".  I have wondered in the past if the three days of darkness was only to those in the Americas or did it cover the whole earth.  Zenos makes is clear that the three days of darkness covered "mainly" the house of Israel scattered throughout many nations.