Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, December 11, 2015

1 Nephi 16

As Nephi and his family was suffering from lack of food, Nephi mentions -

"...it came to pass that Laman and Lemuel and the sons of Ishmael did begin to murmur exceedingly, because of their sufferings and afflictions in the wilderness; and also my father began to murmur against the Lord his God; yea, and they were all exceedingly sorrowful, even that they did murmur against the Lord."   (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 16:20)

I want to throw out a thought as we learn that even Lehi began to murmur.  Lehi had been very faithful and had done everything the Lord had commanded him.  Now his family -

"...did suffer much for the want of food."  (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 16:19)

My thoughts this morning wasn't necessarily that Lehi murmured because he was suffering.  I am now a parent and grandparent.  If I had done everything that was asked of me and had kept all of the commandments that had been given to me, and as a result of my obedience, I had to watch my children and grandchildren suffer, there is no question that I may be found murmuring as Lehi.

With that, by chance this morning I was also reading in the 12th Chapter of Helaman, and read -

"...thus we can behold how false, and also the unsteadiness of the hearts of the children of men; yea, we can see that the Lord in his great infinite goodness doth bless and prosper those who put their trust in him.
2 Yea, and we may see at the very time when he doth prosper his people, yea, in the increase of their fields, their flocks and their herds, and in gold, and in silver, and in all manner of precious things of every kind and art; sparing their lives, and delivering them out of the hands of their enemies; softening the hearts of their enemies that they should not declare wars against them; yea, and in fine, doing all things for the welfare and happiness of his people; yea, then is the time that they do harden their hearts, and do forget the Lord their God, and do trample under their feet the Holy One—yea, and this because of their ease, and their exceedingly great prosperity.
3 And thus we see that except the Lord doth chasten his people with many afflictions, yea, except he doth visit them with death and with terror, and with famine and with all manner of pestilence, they will not remember him."  (Book of Mormon | Helaman 12:1 - 3)

This probably was the case for several that was in Lehi's party.