Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, December 07, 2015

1 Nephi 13

As Nephi's vision continues, he sees -

"...many multitudes of the Gentiles upon the land of promise; and I beheld the wrath of God, that it was upon the seed of my brethren; and they were scattered before the Gentiles and were smitten."  (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 13:14)

We have seen this same wrath upon the Jews where they had the gospel truths and rejected them.  In the case of the Lamanites, history tells us this was done by violence, pride and slavery, and disease.

But I have a different thought this morning.  It seems throughout history that the claim of property is acquired by war and overtaking land and people.  Though many have accused the so called settlers for "gentiles" that they took the land the Indians held.  This was totally in line with how property was always acquired.  People of our day look back as declare the Indians owned the land.  But again, this is the way it was done back then.

It wasn't until this country and government was established so as to protect property rights.  It is under this new country that the doctrine was presented -

"We believe that no government can exist in peace, except such laws are framed and held inviolate as will secure to each individual the free exercise of conscience, the right and control of property, and the protection of life."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 134:2)