Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, December 10, 2015

1 Nephi 15

I am sure I have blogged on this topic before, but again seems so relevant in our day.  When Nephi returned from his great vision, Nephi writes -

"...that I beheld my brethren, and they were disputing one with another concerning the things which my father had spoken unto them."  (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 15:2)

Herein, Lehi, a prophet of God, had taught some truths and doctrine and Nephi's brethren seemed to have a problem with it.  They may have outright disagreed.  After his brethren revealed what they seemed to have a problem, Nephi asks -

"...Have ye inquired of the Lord?"  (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 15:8)

Recently, those that we sustain as prophets, seers, and revelators set forth a policy.  The media immediately broadcast a limited portion of that policy.  It was clearly apparent to many of us that there must be more coming with more explanations.  But many, immediately reacted with little faith in open dispute.  My thoughts were always, "have ye inquired of the Lord".

Nephi continues to teach -

"....How is it that ye do not keep the commandments of the Lord? How is it that ye will perish, because of the hardness of your hearts?
11 Do ye not remember the things which the Lord hath said?—If ye will not harden your hearts, and ask me in faith, believing that ye shall receive, with diligence in keeping my commandments, surely these things shall be made known unto you."  (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 15:10 - 11)

With that, Moroni later taught that -

"...dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith."  (Book of Mormon | Ether 12:6)

Which suggest that if you continue in faith, keeping his commandments and not hardening you heart, the promise is that these things will become known and understood.  But it won't happen until your faith is tested.