Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, October 29, 2015

JC - Chapter 35

We are all familiar when after the Savior had fasted for forty days, probably at the weakest state so far in His mortal ministry, He was approached by Satan where He tempted the Savior with three "if" questions.

And then, as the sufferings of Gethsemane returned as He was nailed to the cross, in satanic language those around Him mocked -

"...Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross."  (New Testament | Matthew 27:40)

"...He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him.

43 He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God."  (New Testament | Matthew 27:42 - 43)

What great restraint and love had the Savior.  There is no question He could have used His superpower or better said, divine power to avenge His unjust punishment.  But He had come thus far and was near to accomplishing His divine mission and atonement.  In humility and obedience to the Father, He did nothing to avert but fulfilled that mission.