Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

JC - Chapter 33

With His final teachings and instructions to His beloved apostles, the Savior taught them to pray in His name, keep His commandments, and that He would not leave the comfortless, Judah (not Iscariot) asked the Savior -

"...Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?"  (New Testament | John 14:22)

The Savior answers -

"...If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.
25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."   (New Testament | John 14:23 - 27)

In my mind He is saying, if you are worthy by keeping His commandments, you will have the Holy Ghost as a companion to teach you.  It will only be to those that are worthy thus the Holy Ghost or the Savior is manifest to the world.

Elder Talmage commented -

"The Holy Ghost was promised to the apostles; He would be sent through Christ’s intercession, to be to them “another Comforter,” or as rendered in later translations, “another Advocate” or “Helper,” even the Spirit of Truth, who, though the world would reject Him as they had rejected the Christ, should dwell with the disciples, and in them even as Christ then dwelt in them and the Father in Him. “I will not leave you comfortless,” Jesus assured the brethren, “I will come to you. Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.”ii This was followed by the assurance that Christ though unknown by the world would manifest Himself to those who loved Him and kept His commandments."