Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, September 21, 2015

JC - Chapter 23

I forgot to blog Friday...the following were my thoughts.

Of the divine nature of man, the Savior said -

"There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.
16 If any man have ears to hear, let him hear."  (New Testament | Mark 7:15 - 16)

Though we know from a physical point of view, there are things eaten that can greatly harm us.  But from a spiritual point of view, nothing from without can harm us, unless we allow it to for -

"For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,
22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:
23 All these evil things come from within, and defile the man."  (New Testament | Mark 7:21 - 23)

It was touched this morning by one statements.  We know that in the days of the Savior, the Jewish nation followed the Mosiac law in wordly interpretations of the laws and teachings of the prophets.  As the three apostles, Peter, James, and John witnessed the tranfiguration of the Savior -

"...there was a cloud that overshadowed them: and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him."  (New Testament | Mark 9:7)

This was the voice of God, our Eternal Father in Heaven (Elohim).  His commandment was "hear Him".  As much as these men were familiar with the teachings of the Prophets, the commandment from here on out was to "hear Him".  Whatever He taught -

"...whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 1:38)