Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, September 15, 2014

Lamentations 1

Much like Israel, for over 200 years this country has prospered.  But like Israel and Judah anciently, this people are turning more and more to much the same wickedness as Israel and Judah did before.  Jeremiah warned Judah over and over of the coming destruction because they would not repent and put the Lord first.  As Jeremiah laments saying -

"The ways of Zion do mourn, because none come to the solemn feasts: all her gates are desolate: her priests sigh, her virgins are afflicted, and she is in bitterness.
5 Her adversaries are the chief, her enemies prosper; for the LORD hath afflicted her for the multitude of her transgressions: her children are gone into captivity before the enemy."  (Old Testament | Lamentations 1:4 - 5)

...I can't help but think of our present country where our enemies prosper only because the people of this country move farther and farther away from the teachings of Christ.  Immorality and dishonesty flourishes in our society.  It seems to be the norm in our politics and entertainment.  We have an attitude much like Judah did in the days of Jeremiah that we are a great nation and no one can over through us.  But without the Lord's help, that can easily happen.  Even though the Babylon was also wicked, the Lord punished Judah first because they should have know better.  It find the lamentation by Jeremiah interesting =


"They have heard that I sigh: there is none to comfort me: all mine enemies have heard of my trouble; they are glad that thou hast done it..."  (Old Testament | Lamentations 1:21)

If our nation fails because we choose wickedness over righteousness, the wicked will be glad.