Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, September 12, 2014

Jeremiah 51

It is in this chapter that Jeremiah prophecies over and over again that the day will come that Babylon, that which has seemed unconquerable having conquered many nations, will fall and will never exist again for Isaiah prophecies -

"...I will punish Bel in Babylon, and I will bring forth out of his mouth that which he hath swallowed up: and the nations shall not flow together any more unto him: yea, the wall of Babylon shall fall."  (Old Testament | Jeremiah 51:44)

Thus the Lord counsels -

"My people, go ye out of the midst of her, and deliver ye every man his soul from the fierce anger of the LORD."  (Old Testament | Jeremiah 51:45)

This becomes a metaphor throughout much of scripture as we are counseled the saints to flee Babylon and come to Zion.  In his vision, John the Revelator wrote, for -

"...the kings of the earth, who have committed fornication and lived deliciously with her, shall bewail her, and lament for her, when they shall see the smoke of her burning,
10 Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come."  (New Testament | Revelation 18:9 - 10)

"And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all."  (New Testament | Revelation 18:21)

This will be the same with the second coming of the Savior.  Therefore we are counseled by Isaiah -

"Go ye forth of Babylon, flee ye from the Chaldeans..."  (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 20:20)