Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Jeremiah 50

As Jeremiah prophecies concerning the complete destruction of Babylon (at that time, Babylon was the most powerful nation any those parts of the earth) and interchangeably prophesying concerning Israel overcoming returning to the Lord in the latter days, he describes the cause of much of the downfall as he writes -

"Call together the archers against Babylon: all ye that bend the bow, camp against it round about; let none thereof escape: recompense her according to her work; according to all that she hath done, do unto her: for she hath been proud against the LORD, against the Holy One of Israel.
30 Therefore shall her young men fall in the streets, and all her men of war shall be cut off in that day, saith the LORD.
31 Behold, I am against thee, O thou most proud, saith the Lord GOD of hosts: for thy day is come, the time that I will visit thee.
32 And the most proud shall stumble and fall, and none shall raise him up: and I will kindle a fire in his cities, and it shall devour all round about him."  (Old Testament | Jeremiah 50:29 - 32)

Obviously, pride was their downfall.  But more important "proud against the Lord".  This suggests in my mind, that the wicked (Babylon) challenged the standards and commandments of God as if they knew better than God.  This pride lead an over confidence that according to their wisdom, they could not fall.

We see this much today as political correctness has taken hold and men think they are wiser than God and choose their wisdom over God.  It is even interesting to me than the so called wise believe they can even control the climate while allowing society to that which is contrary to the will of God.  Is their any question that we are becoming more and more proud every day.

The day will come when the pride of Babylon (Satan and his followers) will be destroyed.