Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Isaiah 1

It seems apparent to me that the writings of Isaiah may not have been organized necessarily chronologically.  The first chapter appears to me as Isaiah's inpired introduction to his writings or preface which he obviously wrote much later as he begins with -

"THE vision of Isaiah the son of Amoz, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 1:1)

Having now served under these four kings, he can't help but ask Israel having fallen away from God -

"Why should ye be stricken any more?..."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 1:5)

Or in other words, why do you bring such punishment upon you, for

"...ye will revolt more and more: the whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint.
6 From the sole of the foot even unto the head there is no soundness in it; but wounds, and bruises, and putrifying sores: they have not been closed, neither bound up, neither mollified with ointment."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 1:5 - 6)

In my mind, the head would be leadership and the whole heart all the people.  Nephi wrote -

"...I did read unto them that which was written by the prophet Isaiah; for I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning."  (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 19:23)

These writings had great application in the days of Isaiah.  They had great application in the days of Nephi.  And definitely, they have great application today.  The consequence is if we continue in this same manner today, the warnign and results will be -

"Your country is desolate, your cities are burned with fire: your land, strangers devour it in your presence, and it is desolate, as overthrown by strangers."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 1:7)

The people of our day speak the talk but do not do the walk.  Many -

"...call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"  (Old Testament | Isaiah 5:20)

And in their worship -

"...this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men..."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 29:13)

Thus -

"Hear the word of the LORD, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah.
11 To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.
12 When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?
13 Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.
14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.
15 And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 1:10 - 15)

The Lord is sick as we confess faith in Him but do not keep His commandments...it is mockery.   But nonetheless, He loves us and still extend His hand saying -

"Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil;
17 Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.
18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
19 If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land:
20 But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 1:16 - 20)

I may not understand all the words of Isaiah but I definitely feel the Spirit as I read his words.