Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, May 05, 2014

Isaiah

There must be doctrine and prophecies of great importance provided in the writings of Isaiah for the Savior, not only quoted this prophet's words more than any other during His mortal ministry but He also said -

"...behold, I say unto you, that ye ought to search these things. Yea, a commandment I give unto you that ye search these things diligently; for great are the words of Isaiah.
2 For surely he spake as touching all things concerning my people which are of the house of Israel; therefore it must needs be that he must speak also to the Gentiles.
3 And all things that he spake have been and shall be, even according to the words which he spake."  (Book of Mormon | 3 Nephi 23:1 - 3)

Nephi explains why he wrote the words of Isaiah for his people for -

"...I did read many things unto them which were written in the books of Moses; but that I might more fully persuade them to believe in the Lord their Redeemer I did read unto them that which was written by the prophet Isaiah; for I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning.
24 Wherefore I spake unto them, saying: Hear ye the words of the prophet, ye who are a remnant of the house of Israel, a branch who have been broken off; hear ye the words of the prophet, which were written unto all the house of Israel, and liken them unto yourselves, that ye may have hope as well as your brethren from whom ye have been broken off; for after this manner has the prophet written."  (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 19:23 - 24)

Nephi suggests that the words of Isaiah will "fully persuade them to believe in the Lord their Redeemer" that they "may have hope".  This is significant.  Nephi also explains -

"...Isaiah spake many things which were hard for many of my people to understand; for they know not concerning the manner of prophesying among the Jews."  (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 25:1)

Which I also add, the history and geography of Israel. I have found in the past, that the more I read the Old Testament, the more I better understand Isaiah's words.

Over the next few days, I am going to read and re-read the words of Isaiah.  Hopefully, by the gift of the Spirit, I will come to a better understanding of his words.