Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

2 Chronicles 29

In studying the Old Testament, there becomes an obvious cyle of apostasy from righteous kings then to wicked kings, and when things do not go well and the people become humble, a righteous king seems to step forward.  Hezekiah was on of those righteous kings where -

"...he did that which was right in the sight of the LORD..."  (Old Testament | 2 Chronicles 29:2)

And he -

"...opened the doors of the house of the LORD, and repaired them.
4 And he brought in the priests and the Levites, and gathered them together into the east street,
5 And said unto them, Hear me, ye Levites, sanctify now yourselves, and sanctify the house of the LORD God of your fathers, and carry forth the filthiness out of the holy place."  (Old Testament | 2 Chronicles 29:3 - 5)

Hezekiah was blessed to reign during the days of Isaiah.  After years of faithfulness -

"IN those days was Hezekiah sick unto death. And Isaiah the prophet the son of Amoz came unto him, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Set thine house in order: for thou shalt die, and not live."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 38:1)

And as a result of this prophecy -

"...Hezekiah turned his face toward the wall, and prayed unto the LORD,
3 And said, Remember now, O LORD, I beseech thee, how I have walked before thee in truth and with a perfect heart, and have done that which is good in thy sight. And Hezekiah wept sore."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 38:2 - 3)

I think that these words are signficant.  Hezekiah could approach the Lord in great faith and confidence to consider his life because he has been faithful.  I think as we are faithful, pay our tithes, keep his commandments and do everything we can, we too can approach the Lord in great faith and confidence.  Obviously, when one desperately pleads for help from the Lord, when they have never followed his counsel, must be greatly lacking in hope and confidence.  Because of Hezekiah's good works and faith -

"...came the word of the LORD to Isaiah, saying,
5 Go, and say to Hezekiah, Thus saith the LORD, the God of David thy father, I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will add unto thy days fifteen years.
6 And I will deliver thee and this city out of the hand of the king of Assyria: and I will defend this city.
7 And this shall be a sign unto thee from the LORD, that the LORD will do this thing that he hath spoken..."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 38:4 - 7)

As he is given this great blessing, Hezekiah writes how he felt as he approached death and how he felt with the promise of the Lord as he wrote -

"The living, the living, he shall praise thee, as I do this day: the father to the children shall make known thy truth.
20 The LORD was ready to save me: therefore we will sing my songs to the stringed instruments all the days of our life in the house of the LORD."  (Old Testament | Isaiah 38:19 - 20)