Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, December 06, 2013

Genesis 1

Having completed the readings and blogging on the Pearl of Great Price, I am now turning my focus to the Old Testament.  In the books of Moses and Abraham in the Pearl of Great Price, much of the focus was much on the creation and early history also found in the Book of Genesis.  Thus I am again going to study much the same topic in Genesis as in these other records.  My first thought this morning is the ongoing attempt by many to discredit or undermine the truth of the creation taught in Genesis.

I admit that many find the religious history of Genesis may seem "made up" and not per scientific theories.  My response is first that we have no idea how long the creation took, how long was the time period or "day", or even if these "days" or time periods was exactly the same.   The Old Testament Gospel Doctrine Teacher’s Manual, page 11, states -

“The length of time required for the Creation is not known.” Speaking of the “six days” required for creating the earth, President Brigham Young said that it “is a mere term, but it matters not whether it took six days, six months, six years, or six thousand years. The creation occupied certain periods of time. We are not authorized to say what the duration of these days was whether Moses penned these words as we have them, or whether the translators of the Bible have given the words their intended meaning. However, God created the world."

The second thought I have is more according to my personal faith where the Lord said -
"Yea, verily I say unto you, in that day when the Lord shall come, he shall reveal all things—
33 Things which have passed, and hidden things which no man knew, things of the earth, by which it was made, and the purpose and the end thereof—
34 Things most precious, things that are above, and things that are beneath, things that are in the earth, and upon the earth, and in heaven."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 101:32 - 34)

I believe the day is not far away where we will learn and understand these things.