Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, April 18, 2013

D&C 71

Of the importance of missionary work, the Lord said to the Prophet Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon -

"...the time has verily come that it is necessary and expedient in me that you should open your mouths in proclaiming my gospel, the things of the kingdom, expounding the mysteries thereof out of the scriptures, according to that portion of Spirit and power which shall be given unto you, even as I will."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 71:1)

Adding -

"Wherefore, labor ye in my vineyard. Call upon the inhabitants of the earth, and bear record, and prepare the way for the commandments and revelations which are to come."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 71:4)

I note that not only was His gospel to be proclaimed, but also expounding or explain the "mysteries" in the scriptures, but only as guided by the Holy Ghost.  In my mind, expounding the mysteries in the scriptures would include modern revelation including the commandments and revelations that were yet to be given.  Obviously, these instructions were not just intended for these two brethren as the Lord added -

"Now, behold this is wisdom; whoso readeth, let him understand and receive also;
6 For unto him that receiveth it shall be given more abundantly, even power."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 71:5 - 6)

But what many consider to be an instruction to "revile against revilers", the Lord instructed -

"Wherefore, confound your enemies; call upon them to meet you both in public and in private; and inasmuch as ye are faithful their shame shall be made manifest.
8 Wherefore, let them bring forth their strong reasons against the Lord.
9 Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you—there is no weapon that is formed against you shall prosper;
10 And if any man lift his voice against you he shall be confounded in mine own due time."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 71:7 - 10)

To be honest, I don't see this instruction to suggest revile against revilers, or debate with a spirit of contention.  In my mind, confound would suggest that one may not have a valid response or answer.  I don't necessarily believe this would be a debate or heated contention.  I would suggest that it is a manner of teaching and explaining where another my not have an good answer or response.

I had an interesting experience in the mission field where we met with a group of seminary students that wanted to contend with our doctrine.  My response to their points or "strong reasons" was using the Book of Mormon and modern revelations.  In each case, it gave me the opportunity to teach, explain, and testify.  There never was a debate or contention.  In a sense, I felt these men were confounded with no answer.