Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, April 09, 2013

D&C 65

There are a few principles I want to touch on this morning.  First, the Lord teaches -

"...I, the Lord, require the hearts of the children of men."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 64:22)

It appears to me that we will be judged more on the true status of our hearts or our most inward desires.  It seems our hearts need to be converted to the Lord, not necessarily our words.  This seems to be evident as the Lord taught -

"...now it is called today until the coming of the Son of Man, and verily it is a day of sacrifice, and a day for the tithing of my people; for he that is tithed shall not be burned at his coming.
24 For after today cometh the burning—this is speaking after the manner of the Lord—for verily I say, tomorrow all the proud and they that do wickedly shall be as stubble; and I will burn them up, for I am the Lord of Hosts; and I will not spare any that remain in Babylon.
25 Wherefore, if ye believe me, ye will labor while it is called today."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 64:23 - 25)

In other words, our hearts must be totally committed to the Lord.  The evidence of our hearts are to be the standard to the nations for -

"...I, the Lord, have made my church in these last days like unto a judge sitting on a hill, or in a high place, to judge the nations.
38 For it shall come to pass that the inhabitants of Zion shall judge all things pertaining to Zion.
39 And liars and hypocrites shall be proved by them, and they who are not apostles and prophets shall be known.
40 And even the bishop, who is a judge, and his counselors, if they are not faithful in their stewardships shall be condemned, and others shall be planted in their stead.
41 For, behold, I say unto you that Zion shall flourish, and the glory of the Lord shall be upon her;
42 And she shall be an ensign unto the people, and there shall come unto her out of every nation under heaven."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 64:37 - 42)

Even of great importance -

"The keys of the kingdom of God are committed unto man on the earth, and from thence shall the gospel roll forth unto the ends of the earth, as the stone which is cut out of the mountain without hands shall roll forth, until it has filled the whole earth."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 65:2)

Therefore, if our hearts are turned to the Lord, we will participate in the the gospel rolling forth to the world -

"Yea, a voice crying—Prepare ye the way of the Lord, prepare ye the supper of the Lamb, make ready for the Bridegroom.
4 Pray unto the Lord, call upon his holy name, make known his wonderful works among the people."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 65:3 - 4)

In regards to this work we are to pray and make know His wonderful works, even -

"Call upon the Lord, that his kingdom may go forth upon the earth, that the inhabitants thereof may receive it, and be prepared for the days to come, in the which the Son of Man shall come down in heaven, clothed in the brightness of his glory, to meet the kingdom of God which is set up on the earth.
6 Wherefore, may the kingdom of God go forth, that the kingdom of heaven may come..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 65:5 - 6)