Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

D&C 70

In revelation, the Lord again revisits the doctrine of the law of consecration, providing more instruction.  As the Lord particularly points out individuals that are given some time consuming responsibilities, He teslls them -

"I have appointed unto them, and this is their business in the church of God, to manage them and the concerns thereof, yea, the benefits thereof."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 70:5)

The "benefits" would suggest to me the revenues that come in as a result of their work.  Of these benefits -

"...a commandment I give unto them, that they shall not give these things unto the church, neither unto the world..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 70:6)

This suggests to me that these types of revenues would be used with a priority for other purposes.  Before He explains this purpose, He again reminds the saints of the principles of the law of consecration -

"...inasmuch as they receive more than is needful for their necessities and their wants, it shall be given into my storehouse;
8 And the benefits shall be consecrated unto the inhabitants of Zion, and unto their generations, inasmuch as they become heirs according to the laws of the kingdom.
9 Behold, this is what the Lord requires of every man in his stewardship, even as I, the Lord, have appointed or shall hereafter appoint unto any man.
10 And behold, none are exempt from this law who belong to the church of the living God..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 70:7 - 10)

Again it is emphasized that living the law of consecration is an individual responsibility with individual conscience, agency, and choice.  It's execution is between God and the individual.  It is not regulated by Church or government.  Now, of those that are called to callings that my require most of their time and effort that otherwise would be spent sustaining family life, the Lord teaches -

"He who is appointed to administer spiritual things, the same is worthy of his hire, even as those who are appointed to a stewardship to administer in temporal things;
13 Yea, even more abundantly, which abundance is multiplied unto them through the manifestations of the Spirit.
14 Nevertheless, in your temporal things you shall be equal, and this not grudgingly, otherwise the abundance of the manifestations of the Spirit shall be withheld.
15 Now, this commandment I give unto my servants for their benefit while they remain, for a manifestation of my blessings upon their heads, and for a reward of their diligence and for their security;
16 For food and for raiment; for an inheritance; for houses and for lands, in whatsoever circumstances I, the Lord, shall place them, and whithersoever I, the Lord, shall send them."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 70:12 - 16)

Which suggests that these individual by rely upon the Church, or the "benefits" or revenues association with their work, but still required to live equal in the Lord's law of consecration where "equal" is divinely defined as -

"...every man equal according to his family, according to his circumstances and his wants and needs."
(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 51:3)

Where "equal" is not as is generally defined by man.