Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, April 25, 2013

D&C 76

As the Prophet Joseph saw the Savior as well as in contrast, Lucifer, there was something that caught my thoughts this morning as I read -

"And this we saw also, and bear record, that an angel of God who was in authority in the presence of God, who rebelled against the Only Begotten Son whom the Father loved and who was in the bosom of the Father, was thrust down from the presence of God and the Son,
26 And was called Perdition, for the heavens wept over him—he was Lucifer, a son of the morning."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 76:25 - 26)

What caught my thoughts was the word "loved".  There is no question in my mind that our Father in Heaven "loves" all His children which suggests to me that He desires with all His heart in that he wants the best for all of His offspring.  In my mind, this type of love is unconditional.  We see this type of love where in great disappointment "the heavens wept" as Lucifer rebelled.

We also see the type of love that is also conditional.  The type of love where great gifts blessings are given based on obedience and faithfulness.  If that was not the case, the verse would say "Whom the Father loves" (present tense).  When I read the words "whom the Father loved" isolates and suggests that the Father provided the greatest honors and blessings because of the Savior's sacrifice and obedience.  Even to the point that the Savior was "in the bosom of the Father".  In other words, they were now one of the same in unity and love.

This would follow the claim of the young women in the Church that the Father loves them and they love the Him.  But to be truly loved would suggest doing that which has brought His blessings for -

"There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—
21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 130:20 - 21)

Thus in my mind, we may become one that is truly "loved".