Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, March 14, 2013

D&C 53

Just a few thoughts this morning.  As many elders were called on missions, the Lord then instructs those elders that are to remain in the Kirtland area -

"Let the residue of the elders watch over the churches, and declare the word in the regions round about them; and let them labor with their own hands that there be no idolatry nor wickedness practised.
40 And remember in all things the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted, for he that doeth not these things, the same is not my disciple.  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 52:39 - 40)

In this case, I believe idolatry would be to worship or to have focus and devotion on things of this world which could include wealth and other wordly things.  This seems to be a commandment even in our day as we remain to labor, serve and "watch over" the saints in wards and stakes.

Another thought is the instuction given to Sidney Gilbert.  In order  -

"...that ye may stand spotless before me at the last day...this is my gospel; and ye know the things that ye must do in my church; for the works which ye have seen me do that shall ye also do; for that which ye have seen me do even that shall ye do;"  (Book of Mormon | 3 Nephi 27:20 - 21)

The gospel of Jesus Christ or the Doctrine of Christ, which purpose is that we may stand spotless, is as Sidney Gilbert was commanded by the Lord to teach -

"...that you shall forsake the world.
3 Take upon you mine ordination, even that of an elder, to preach faith and repentance and remission of sins, according to my word, and the reception of the Holy Spirit by the laying on of hands;"  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 53:2 - 3)

And -

"...I would that ye should learn that he only is saved who endureth unto the end..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 53:7)

I specifically note that Sidney was to teach receiving the Holy Ghost by "the laying on of hands", which suggests that this is an essential ordinance, not an event.