Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

D&C 52

As we come to recognize that the Church was yet only a year old with many converts that were raised in varying religious congregations, Satan was at work with varying deceptions by spirits of  influence.  The Lord again instructed -

"...I will give unto you a pattern in all things, that ye may not be deceived; for Satan is abroad in the land, and he goeth forth deceiving the nations—"  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 52:14)

Over the years as the Church has grown and the instruction in the priesthood administration of His Church has adjusted, this instruction continues to apply in that He has given us patterns in all things.  In relationship to this particular instruction at that time, the referred to these patterns of lives of the leaders and saints -

"Wherefore he that prayeth..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 52:15)

"...whose spirit is contrite..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 52:15)

"...the same is accepted of me if he obey mine ordinances."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 52:15)

"He that speaketh, whose spirit is contrite, whose language is meek and edifieth, the same is of God if he obey mine ordinances."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 52:16)

And -

"...he that trembleth under my power shall be made strong, and shall bring forth fruits of praise and wisdom, according to the revelations and truths which I have given you."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 52:17)

"trembleth" suggests to me that we humbly follow priesthood leaders. 

This is the pattern of the Lord in righteous administration, but -

"...he that is overcome and bringeth not forth fruits, even according to this pattern, is not of me."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 52:18)

These principles continue to apply to our day, therefore -

"...by this pattern ye shall know the spirits in all cases under the whole heavens."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 52:19)