Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

D&C 27

As the Prophet Joseph Smith went to purchase wine for the sacrament, he was intercepted by an angelic messenger which instructed -

"LISTEN to the voice of Jesus Christ, your Lord, your God, and your Redeemer, whose word is quick and powerful.

2 For, behold, I say unto you, that it mattereth not what ye shall eat or what ye shall drink when ye partake of the sacrament, if it so be that ye do it with an eye single to my glory—remembering unto the Father my body which was laid down for you, and my blood which was shed for the remission of your sins.
3 Wherefore, a commandment I give unto you, that you shall not purchase wine neither strong drink of your enemies;
4 Wherefore, you shall partake of none except it is made new among you; yea, in this my Father's kingdom which shall be built up on the earth."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 27:1 - 4)

As the Savior instituted the sacrament, He used symbolic bread and wine.  Probably one reason was that it was so common and readily available.  We now begin to understand that the symbolism or emblems is of greater importance with a eye single to the glory of God than the actual type of food or drink.  Again, He states that the symbolism is "my body" which I would suggest is justification, and "my blood" suggesting sanctification.

A short time later, it was revealed what the Savior meant when He said -

"I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom."  (New Testament  Matthew 26:29)

In my mind suggesting that He would not partake of the ordinance of the sacrament until He would so with the fellow saints in the Kingdom of God.  It was in this very revelation that we receive greater incite when it was revealed to the Prophet that this event was coming soon and not far distant for -

"Behold, this is wisdom in me; wherefore, marvel not, for the hour cometh that I will drink of the fruit of the vine with you on the earth..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 27:5)

He then explains others that will be in attendance including, Moroni,  Elias (a composite of many heavenly beings sent by God to earth), John the Baptist, Elijah, Joseph (sold in Egypt), his father Jacob, Isaac, Abraham, Adam, Peter, James, and John -

"And also with all those whom my Father hath given me out of the world."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 27:14)

Which I believe to be all His chosen saints.  This will be a great day and a grand experience.