Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, January 11, 2013

D&C 25

Having already received an increase in persecution in the very beginnings of the restoration of the Church, I wonder what was going on in the minds and and conversations between the Prophet Joseph Smith and his wife Emma.  While all this was going on, the Lord provided some interesting counsel.  First, the Lord told the Prophet -

"...in temporal labors thou shalt not have strength, for this is not thy calling..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 24:9)

I wonder how those words effect the Prophet and especially Emma.  Obviously, this affected her also.  And then the Lord spoke to Emma -

"...Emma Smith, my daughter; for verily I say unto you, all those who receive my gospel are sons and daughters in my kingdom."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 25:1)

He not only called her "my daughter" but also then tells her -

"...thou art an elect lady, whom I have called."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 25:3)

Suggesting in my mind that Emma was a valiant spirit in the pre-mortal existence as was foreordained for this significant calling which included -

"...the office of thy calling shall be for a comfort unto my servant, Joseph Smith, Jun., thy husband, in his afflictions, with consoling words, in the spirit of meekness.
6 And thou shalt go with him at the time of his going, and be unto him for a scribe, while there is no one to be a scribe for him, that I may send my servant, Oliver Cowdery, whithersoever I will.
7 And thou shalt be ordained under his hand to expound scriptures, and to exhort the church, according as it shall be given thee by my Spirit."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 25:5 - 7)

There is no question that the burdens placed on the Prophet would be great.  The Prophet needed an "elect" lady to sustain and be with him through his life.  I personally believe that she magnified this calling.

As I read these words spoken to Emma, and can't help but relate this to my dear wife.  I consider her also an "elect" lady and she has proven to be a wonderful support and sustaining companion.  Just as the Prophet loved Emma,  I love my wife very much.