Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

D&C 20

A book that I find of great value is the current "Handbook of Instructions:  Administering the Church".  I find it full of true doctrine and principles and consider such instructions as divine revelation.  There is no question, this book or similar handbooks have been modified over the years as the Church has grown and conditions have changed.  Each modifications including new instructions of revelation.  As I began my study of the 20th section of the Doctrine and Covenants we read in the heading -

"Revelation on Church Organization and Government, given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, April 1830. HC 1:64–70. Preceding his record of this revelation the Prophet wrote: "We obtained of him [Jesus Christ] the following, by the spirit of prophecy and revelation; which not only gave us much information, but also pointed out to us the precise day upon which, according to his will and commandment, we should proceed to organize his Church once more here upon the earth."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 20:Heading)

It includes -

"1–16, The Book of Mormon proves the divinity of the Latter-day work;


17–29, The doctrines of creation, fall, atonement, and baptism are affirmed;

29–37, Laws governing repentance, justification, sanctification, and baptism are set forth;

38–67, Duties of elders, priests, teachers, and deacons are summarized;

68–74, Duties of members, blessing of children, and mode of baptism are revealed;

75–84, Sacramental prayers and regulations governing church membership are given."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 20:Heading)

...as well as other items.

I personally consider this revelation as the first "Handbook of Instructions: Administering the Church".  It includes much "doctrine" and "covenants" in administering the very beginning of the very small, restored Church.