Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, December 13, 2012

D&C 18

In that what appears that Oliver Cowdery had been pondering some personal questions concerning things, the Lord provides some wise instructions to him which I consider to all saying -

"Behold, I have manifested unto you, by my Spirit in many instances, that the things which you have written are true; wherefore you know that they are true.
3 And if you know that they are true, behold, I give unto you a commandment, that you rely upon the things which are written;
4 For in them are all things written concerning the foundation of my church, my gospel, and my rock."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 18:2 - 4)

It is given then that we must "rely" upon the scriptures in our teachings, administering, and ministering with the promise -

"Wherefore, if you shall build up my church, upon the foundation of my gospel and my rock, the gates of hell shall not prevail against you."  (Doctrine and Covenants   Section 18:5)

I wonder if that Oliver, after having come to better know the Prophet Joseph Smith and realizing that he was just a man with inherant human weaknesses, had been wondering why Joseph was the prophet.  I'm sure most of the world has a difficult time embracing a prophet in the present day.  In what appears to be an answer to that question, the Lord said -

"...marvel not that I have called him unto mine own purpose, which purpose is known in me; wherefore, if he shall be diligent in keeping my commandments he shall be blessed unto eternal life; and his name is Joseph."  (Doctrine and Covenants   Section 18:8)

I believe this applies to all the member of the Church when bishops and other priesthood leaders are called.  We never know the purposes of the Lord but we should know that it is His purpose.

One last thought.  In a world that seems to becoming more and mor wicked the Lord said -

"Behold, the world is ripening in iniquity..."  (Doctrine and Covenants   Section 18:6)

Therefore, it is of great importance and  -

"...it must needs be that the children of men are stirred up unto repentance..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 18:6)

This is our work.