Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

D&C 8

As Oliver Cowdery suggested his desire to be granted the gift of translation, the Lord responded -

"...that assuredly as the Lord liveth, who is your God and your Redeemer, even so surely shall you receive a knowledge of whatsoever things you shall ask in faith, with an honest heart, believing that you shall receive a knowledge..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 8:1)

In a previous revelation, the Lord had already told Oliver that he had been given the gift of revelation.  It is then that the Lord explains how revelations are received teaching him -

"...behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost...."  (Doctrine and Covenants   Section 8:2)

I couldn't help but ponder what He meant by being told in one's "heart" and in one's "mind".  The heart has always suggested on most inward and true desires and feelings.  Thus, being told in one's heart would suggest strong impressions are feelings.  This would suggest to me that as we follow, in faith, these feelings, impressions, and/or promptings, that this is the beginning of receiving revelation.  As we move forward in faith, following those righteous feelings more specific revelation follows.  The mind would suggest to me the thought provoking or reasoning part of revelation.  This type of revelation seems to be more specific, where we have distinct thoughts, answers, and intelligence...evening hearing the still small voice of the Lord in our minds.  Thus the Lord tells us -

"...behold, this is the spirit of revelation..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 8:3)

Maybe it could also be said, "this is the process of revelation".  There is one more thing that I think is important where again the Lord said -

"...I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 8:2)

When the Lord tells us that the Holy Ghost will dwell in our hearts, suggests to me, that if we live righteously, worthy to have the companionship of the Gift of the Holy Ghost, He will be there all the time.  Having the Holy Ghost with us all the time, or in other words, dwelling in our hearts, suggests that revelatory feelings and impressions will constantly lead us.  If we follow those feelings, in faith and obedience, distinct and specific revelations will come into our mind as the Lord chooses.  The Lord followed with -

"...therefore, whatsoever you shall ask me to tell you by that means, that will I grant unto you, and you shall have knowledge concerning it.
10 Remember that without faith you can do nothing; therefore ask in faith..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 8:9 - 10)