Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, December 03, 2012

D&C 9

After having been given permission and authority to translate (I note "other records"), it appears that Oliver Cowdery attempted to translate the gold plates.  I wonder if in a small way, Oliver was able to translate somewhat as the Lord mentioned -

"...that you did not continue as you commenced, when you began to translate..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 9:5)

In my mind, "began to translate" would suggest that he may have actually translated but then the Lord explained -

"Behold, it was expedient when you commenced; but you feared..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 9:11)

Which would suggest to me, a loss of faith to translate.  This translation process was never intended to be easy for the Lord explained -

"...you have not understood; you have supposed that I would give it unto you, when you took no thought save it was to ask me.
8 But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.
9 But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong; therefore, you cannot write that which is sacred save it be given you from me.  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 9:7 - 9)

I sense the lesson being taught herein that would apply to all of us was "you took no thought save it was to ask me".  Obviously, the work and revelations of the Lord come only as we study things out, as we receive counsel, and in some instances, as we sit in council.  It is then that revelation comes to "our hearts and our minds" (see D&C 9).  Whether the "bosom shall burn within you" was specifically related to translation or not, is not clear.  I do believe that this is one of many means that the Holy Ghost prompts us.  But it is still essential that thoughts will come into your mind.  This is where the power of the Holy Ghost caused that "you shall feel that it is right".  Obviously, if we do not fill that it is right, there is no inspired thought and it will be forgotten.

I find it interesting that the having given permission and authority, the Lord tells Oliver -

"...if you had known this you could have translated; nevertheless, it is not expedient that you should translate now.
11 Behold, it was expedient when you commenced; but you feared, and the time is past, and it is not expedient now..."  (Doctrine and Covenants   Section 9:10 - 11)

The Lord does not explain why it was expedient and now its not.  Again, we do not know the meaning of all things.  I speculate that maybe the intent was not necessarily to have him translate but attempt to translate that he as well as all of us would come to understand that this process was not easy for the Prophet Joseph Smith.