Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, October 22, 2012

Ether 4

Many are familiar with the revelations given to John on the isles of Patmos.  There are few that know that this same revelation was given to the brother of Jared and later to Nephi.  I personally believe that these other revelations were written in a more clear manner.  But these "much clearer" writings were not to be had among men until they were living in such a righteous manner that they were worthy of such knowledge.  That is probably why John's record is so symbolic and hard to understand.  Of the brother of Jared's writings -

"...the Lord commanded the brother of Jared to go down out of the mount from the presence of the Lord, and write the things which he had seen; and they were forbidden to come unto the children of men until after that he should be lifted up upon the cross; and for this cause did king Mosiah keep them, that they should not come unto the world until after Christ should show himself unto his people."  (Book of Mormon  Ether 4:1)

For -

"...there never were greater things made manifest than those which were made manifest unto the brother of Jared."  (Book of Mormon Ether 4:4)

Thus one would assume that during the righteous years following the Savior's visit to the Americas, it was had amongst the people.  But as the people again turned to wickedness, Moroni was commanded to -

"...seal them up; and he also hath commanded that I should seal up the interpretation thereof; wherefore I have sealed up the interpreters, according to the commandment of the Lord.
6 For the Lord said unto me: They shall not go forth unto the Gentiles until the day that they shall repent of their iniquity, and become clean before the Lord."  (Book of Mormon  Ether 4:5 - 6)

Suggesting that if the day ever comes where the world is righteous (such as in the millenium) these words will come forth for -

"...in that day that they shall exercise faith in me, saith the Lord, even as the brother of Jared did, that they may become sanctified in me, then will I manifest unto them the things which the brother of Jared saw, even to the unfolding unto them all my revelations, saith Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of the heavens and of the earth, and all things that in them are.
8 And he that will contend against the word of the Lord, let him be accursed; and he that shall deny these things, let him be accursed; for unto them will I show no greater things, saith Jesus Christ; for I am he who speaketh."  (Book of Mormon   Ether 4:7 - 8)

If people of our day do not want to be shown greater things, continue in the path they are on.  Thus Moroni instructs he that would translate the record, the Prophet Joseph Smith -

"...I, Moroni, have written the words which were commanded me, according to my memory; and I have told you the things which I have sealed up; therefore touch them not in order that ye may translate; for that thing is forbidden you, except by and by it shall be wisdom in God."  (Book of Mormon  Ether 5:1)

So Moroni counsels -

"...Come unto me, O ye Gentiles, and I will show unto you the greater things, the knowledge which is hid up because of unbelief.
14 Come unto me, O ye house of Israel, and it shall be made manifest unto you how great things the Father hath laid up for you, from the foundation of the world; and it hath not come unto you, because of unbelief.
15 Behold, when ye shall rend that veil of unbelief which doth cause you to remain in your awful state of wickedness, and hardness of heart, and blindness of mind, then shall the great and marvelous things which have been hid up from the foundation of the world from you—yea, when ye shall call upon the Father in my name, with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, then shall ye know that the Father hath remembered the covenant which he made unto your fathers, O house of Israel."  (Book of Mormon  Ether 4:13 - 15)