Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, October 19, 2012

Ether 3

One of the greatest recorded scriptural experiences of any man with the Savior was as -

"...the Lord stretched forth his hand and touched the stones one by one with his finger. And the veil was taken from off the eyes of the brother of Jared, and he saw the finger of the Lord; and it was as the finger of a man, like unto flesh and blood; and the brother of Jared fell down before the Lord, for he was struck with fear."  (Book of Mormon  Ether 3:6)

Of course having experienced such great fear and reverence, the brother of Jared fell to the earth.  Then the Savior commanded -

"...Arise, why hast thou fallen?"  (Book of Mormon  Ether 3:7)

In response, the brother of Jared said -

"...I saw the finger of the Lord, and I feared lest he should smite me; for I knew not that the Lord had flesh and blood."  (Book of Mormon   Ether 3:8)

It is then that we learn some great truths, as the Savior teaches -

"...Because of thy faith thou hast seen that I shall take upon me flesh and blood; and never has man come before me with such exceeding faith as thou hast; for were it not so ye could not have seen my finger. Sawest thou more than this?
10 And he answered: Nay; Lord, show thyself unto me.
11 And the Lord said unto him: Believest thou the words which I shall speak?
12 And he answered: Yea, Lord, I know that thou speakest the truth, for thou art a God of truth, and canst not lie.
13 And when he had said these words, behold, the Lord showed himself unto him, and said: Because thou knowest these things ye are redeemed from the fall; therefore ye are brought back into my presence; therefore I show myself unto you.
14 Behold, I am he who was prepared from the foundation of the world to redeem my people. Behold, I am Jesus Christ. I am the Father and the Son. In me shall all mankind have life, and that eternally, even they who shall believe on my name; and they shall become my sons and my daughters."  (Book of Mormon  Ether 3:9 - 14)

For this event to have taken place, the brother of Jared must have been "transfigured" to be able to bear the glory of the Lord, because I believe that being yet a spirit, His the glory of His spirit must have been full.  That is why, I believe, that many times He is in a cloud is to protect others of His glory.  We also learn that the brother of Jared  being "brought back into my presence" would be that as Paul counseled -

"...give diligence to make your calling and election sure..."  (New Testament 2 Peter 1:10)

Or as revealed in modern day -

"...Wherefore, I now send upon you another Comforter, even upon you my friends, that it may abide in your hearts, even the Holy Spirit of promise; which other Comforter is the same that I promised unto my disciples, as is recorded in the testimony of John.
4 This Comforter is the promise which I give unto you of eternal life, even the glory of the celestial kingdom;
5 Which glory is that of the church of the Firstborn, even of God, the holiest of all, through Jesus Christ his Son—"  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 88:3 - 5)

It seems unclear what the Savior meant as He added -

"...never have I showed myself unto man whom I have created, for never has man believed in me as thou hast..."  (Book of Mormon   Ether 3:15)

We know that the Lord appeared to Adam, Shem, Enoch, and Noah.  Even though there has never been any prophetic explanation of the meaning of this verse, it is my personal appearance that there never was a situation like this when man has so much faith that the Lord had to "show" Himself based on eternal principles and declare a calling and electrion sure.