Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Mormon 1

Mormon is one of my personal heroes.  There are few that had to live through more difficult times than Mormon.  I look forward to being able to meet him someday.  As Mormon records his own record, it is obvious that he doesn't draw much attention to himself, only that which he experienced. First he humbly records -

"...that Ammaron hid up the records unto the Lord, he came unto me, (I being about ten years of age, and I began to be learned somewhat after the manner of the learning of my people) and Ammaron said unto me: I perceive that thou art a sober child, and art quick to observe..."  (Book of Mormon  Mormon 1:2)

It seems he brings this up only to tell us how he came to know and receive instructions concerning the records.  Being quick to observe and sober would suggest to me that Ammoron recognized that Mormon was obedient and faithful.  Ammoron knew that there were no one worthy to keep a record of the the people so he approached Mormon instructing that  -

"...when ye are about twenty and four years old I would that ye should remember the things that ye have observed concerning this people; and when ye are of that age go to the land Antum, unto a hill which shall be called Shim; and there have I deposited unto the Lord all the sacred engravings concerning this people.
4 And behold, ye shall take the plates of Nephi unto yourself, and the remainder shall ye leave in the place where they are; and ye shall engrave on the plates of Nephi all the things that ye have observed concerning this people."  (Book of Mormon   Mormon 1:3 - 4)

We know little of Mormon's family only that -

"...I, Mormon, being a descendant of Nephi, (and my father's name was Mormon)..."  (Book of Mormon  Mormon 1:5)

My understanding is the Mormon means "more good".  With that I would have to assume that Mormon's father understood this meaning and gave it to his son.  I would assume then that Mormon was raised in a righteous family.  And when Mormon  -

"...being eleven years old, was carried by my father into the land southward, even to the land of Zarahemla.
7 The whole face of the land had become covered with buildings, and the people were as numerous almost, as it were the sand of the sea."  (Book of Mormon  Mormon 1:6 - 7)

Again, I assume that Mormon was was initially raised in a more rural area until he was 11 years old because he noticed that the land was covered with people and buildings.  It was in that same year -

"...there began to be a war between the Nephites, who consisted of the Nephites and the Jacobites and the Josephites and the Zoramites; and this war was between the Nephites, and the Lamanites and the Lemuelites and the Ishmaelites."  (Book of Mormon  Mormon 1:8)

From 11 years old and throughout his entire life, there was wickedness, war and carnage more than most men can imagine for he later records -

"...wickedness did prevail upon the face of the whole land, insomuch that the Lord did take away his beloved disciples, and the work of miracles and of healing did cease because of the iniquity of the people.
14 And there were no gifts from the Lord, and the Holy Ghost did not come upon any, because of their wickedness and unbelief."  (Book of Mormon   Mormon 1:13 - 14)

And -

"...there were sorceries, and witchcrafts, and magics; and the power of the evil one was wrought upon all the face of the land..."  (Book of Mormon  Mormon 1:19)

Mormon's character must have been so outstanding that he humbly with necessity records that -

"...notwithstanding I being young, was large in stature; therefore the people of Nephi appointed me that I should be their leader, or the leader of their armies.
2 Therefore it came to pass that in my sixteenth year I did go forth at the head of an army of the Nephites, against the Lamanites..."  (Book of Mormon   Mormon 2:1 - 2)

Amazing!  But what I find personally as most impressive, even as the Prophet Joseph Smith, Mormon -

"...I, being fifteen years of age and being somewhat of a sober mind, therefore I was visited of the Lord, and tasted and knew of the goodness of Jesus."  (Book of Mormon  Mormon 1:15)

I have come to love the prophet Mormon.