Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, October 12, 2012

Mormon 5

I have quoted previously the counsel of James -

"Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience."  (New Testament  James 5:10)

As the saints consider their many afflictions, there are few that experienced a full life of afflictions as did Mormon.  Reading chapters two through six, reveal the magnitude of the wickedness and carnage that Mormon witnessed his whole mortal life.  At an early age, he was commanded to record the history of his people throughout his days.  This he did in all obedience.  But as he wrote this abridged record that was to go forth to future generations, he wrote a limited version adding -

"I, Mormon, do not desire to harrow up the souls of men in casting before them such an awful scene of blood and carnage as was laid before mine eyes; but I, knowing that these things must surely be made known, and that all things which are hid must be revealed upon the house-tops—"  Book of Mormon
Mormon 5:8)   For the purpose, he wrote -   "...I write a small abridgment, daring not to give a full account of the things which I have seen, because of the commandment which I have received, and also that ye might not have too great sorrow because of the wickedness of this people.
10 And now behold, this I speak unto their seed, and also to the Gentiles who have care for the house of Israel, that realize and know from whence their blessings come.
11 For I know that such will sorrow for the calamity of the house of Israel; yea, they will sorrow for the destruction of this people; they will sorrow that this people had not repented that they might have been clasped in the arms of Jesus."  (Book of Mormon  Mormon 5:9 - 11)

Also explaining why these records could only come forth as they did to the Prophet Joseph Smith -

"Now these things are written unto the remnant of the house of Jacob; and they are written after this manner, because it is known of God that wickedness will not bring them forth unto them; and they are to be hid up unto the Lord that they may come forth in his own due time."  (Book of Mormon
Mormon 5:10 - 12)   In other words, this record could have never been brought forth by the wicked without being translated in modern day.  There is one more truth that Mormon taught that is important to understand -   "...behold, the judgments of God will overtake the wicked; and it is by the wicked that the wicked are punished; for it is the wicked that stir up the hearts of the children of men unto bloodshed."  (Book of Mormon  Mormon 4:5)   It is the wicked that will destroy the wicked.  Satan does not care.