Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Mosiah 11

One thing that we learn as Zeniff turns the leadership of his kingdom over to his son, Noah, is how "quickly" a people can fall from keeping the commandments and fall into lustful wickedness when justified by leaders and entertainers for -

"...it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire." (New Testament | 2 Peter 2:22)

But in contrast when this happens,even though the Lord will always accept repentance, he does not do it quickly for -

"...I am the Lord their God, and am a jealous God, visiting the iniquities of my people.
23 And it shall come to pass that except this people repent and turn unto the Lord their God, they shall be brought into bondage; and none shall deliver them, except it be the Lord the Almighty God.
24 Yea, and it shall come to pass that when they shall cry unto me I will be slow to hear their cries; yea, and I will suffer them that they be smitten by their enemies." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 11:22 - 24)

When those that fall quickly into inquity, when they are in the depths of affliction, the Lord will "be slow to hear their cries". But only -

"...except they repent in sackcloth and ashes, and cry mightily to the Lord their God, I will not hear their prayers, neither will I deliver them out of their afflictions; and thus saith the Lord, and thus hath he commanded me." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 11:25)

It is clear that he will still deliver them but only after true and full repentance which may require and extended time of affliction. I feel He responds in this manner in hopes that it would not happend again. The more pain, the better we remember.