Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, October 06, 2011

2 Timothy 1

Paul provided Timothy great leadership instruction and guidance over a range of topics. After reminding Timothy -

"Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands." (New Testament | 2 Timothy 1:6)

In other words, having been called and set apart or given authority and blessings in that calling, I was impressed with this instruction -

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." (New Testament | 2 Timothy 1:7)

And thus blessed and given this power, love, and sound mind -

"Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;
9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began..." (New Testament | 2 Timothy 1:8 - 9)

Jacob taught that the Savior's atonement was -

"...an infinite atonement..." (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 9:7)

With Paul's writings, it becomes apparent that the grace and atonement of Christ was being exercised even in our premortal existence. Elder Jeffry R. Holland said in conference -

"...even in the Grand Council of Heaven he loved us and was wonderfully strong, that we triumphed even there by the power of Christ and our faith in the blood of the Lamb (see Rev. 12:10–11)." (This Do in Remembrance of Me, Jeffrey R. Holland, Oct. 1995)

There was one more bit of council Paul gave Timothy that struck me -

"...shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness." (New Testament | 2 Timothy 2:16)

I interpret that to be to avoid irreverant talk in that it in itself will tend to lead to contention, loss of the Spirit, and unholiness.