Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Philippians 2

Speaking of the resurrection of Jesus Christ, Paul writes -

"...Christ Jesus:
6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God..." (New Testament | Philippians 2:5 - 6)

Being equal to God does not necessarily suggest that our Father in Heaven wil cease to be His or the Saviors allegiane to the Father will change. I know in my life, I have become somewhat equal to my father in wealth, knowledge, and experience. But nonetheless, he is my earthly father and I will forever honor him as so. Being children the Father has promised those who satisfy all the conditions of the oath and covenant of the priesthood -

"...all that my Father hath shall be given unto him." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 84:38)

Would this not suggest some form of equality. Because of the faithfulness of the Savior in atoning for all the Father's children -

"...God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth..." (New Testament | Philippians 2:9 - 10)

Understanding also the potential of all the Father's children, Paul desires -

"If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead."
(New Testament | Philippians 3:11)

Some might intepret that desire that not all will be resurrected. But Paul has already taught that -

"...in Christ shall all be made alive." (New Testament | 1 Corinthians 15:22)

The Prophet Joseph Smith translated this same verse as -

"If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the just."
(JST - New Testament | Philippians 3:11)

Now that makes sense in the resurrection of the just will be those that will receive Celestial bodies and glory as taught to the Corinthians. It will be the just that "all that my Father hath shall be given unto him."

Paul recognizes that he is not quite there yet but is diligently striving for it as he confesses -

"Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.
16 Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.
17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample." (New Testament | Philippians 3:12 - 17)

My hope, just as Paul is a great example, that I continue to strive to be worthy to "attain the resurrection of the just."