Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, May 03, 2011

John 5

It seems it was at the temple where the Savior provides His greatest testimony of His divinity and mission to the unbelieving Jewish leaders. After so testifying, the Savior said -

"If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true." (New Testament | John 5:31)

I don't believe He is saying that His witness is not true, but suggesting according the Jewish tradition that a single testimony is not sufficient to substantiate a truth. The Prophet Joseph Smith wrote that He said -

"Therefore if I bear witness of myself, yet my witness is true. (JST)

But nonetheless, the Savior continues -

"There is another that beareth witness of me; and I know that the witness which he witnesseth of me is true." (New Testament | John 5:32)

This witnessed, John would later record as the Comforter or the Holy Ghost. And even with this spiritaul witness -

"Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth." (New Testament | John 5:33)

Not only individuals such as John but also -

"...I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me..." (New Testament | John 5:36)

There is also the scriptures and the prophets, for -

"Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." (New Testament | John 5:39)

There are plenty of witnessed or testimonies of the divinity of the Savior. It is our obligation to hear.