Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, May 05, 2011

John 7

As I read the opposition of Jewish leaders to the doctrine and testimony of the Savior, I couldn't help but sense the same relevance to the restoration of the gospel in our day. The Savior counseled the Jewish leaders in His day -

"Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment." (New Testament | John 7:24)

Another interpretation would be -

"Judge not according to your traditions, but judge righteous judgment. (JST)

The Jews were so steeped in interpretations of the law of Moses that they couldn't even make rational or "common sense" judgment. Maybe many of the Christians of our day do the same thing. In response the Savior taught -

"...My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself." (New Testament | John 7:16 - 17)

Suggesting -

"He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him." (New Testament | John 7:18)

I feel the Prophet Joseph Smith was one that only sought the glory of Him who sent him. The testimony is -

"...If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water." (New Testament | John 7:37 - 38)

the flow of living water, as suggested in the following verse, is the Holy Ghost. The promise is in our day that -

"...when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how amerciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and bponder it in your chearts.
4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would aask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not btrue; and if ye shall ask with a csincere heart, with dreal intent, having efaith in Christ, he will fmanifest the gtruth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may aknow the btruth of all things." (Book of Mormon | Moroni 10:3 - 5)

We do not have to rely upon judging according to appearance or tradition.