Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mark 14

In the moment of His greatest agony, the Savior teaches us a great lesson as His -

"...soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death..." (New Testament | Mark 14:34)

Isaiah prophesied that the Savior would be -

"...a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief." (Old Testament | Isaiah 53:3)

In His sorrow and grief, He teaches by example in that He -

"...prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him.
36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me..." (New Testament | Mark 14:35 - 36)

We are taught that in our own trials and tribulations, we are to prayerfully plead with the Father, acknowledging by faith that He has all power, requesting that which we feel are the righteous desires of our hearts. But also, in great faith, confess -

"...nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt." (New Testament | Mark 14:36)

My may not necessarily understand the meaning of all things, but we do know He loves us, therefore, we must hope that His will is brought to pass, not our own. Could there be a more touching plea demonstrated by the Savior. Elder Bruce R. McConkie wrote -

"...in the garden of Gethsemane Jesus bore "the agony and sorrow of the whole world. Sorrow is the child of sin, and as he took upon himself the sins of the world, he thereby bore the weight of the world's sorrows." (DNTC 1:775)