Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, December 27, 2010

D&C 134

Oliver Cowdery penned -

"WE believe that governments were instituted of God for the benefit of man; and that he holds men accountable for their acts in relation to them, both in making laws and administering them, for the good and safety of society."
(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 134:1)

And with such governments -

"We believe that no government can exist in peace, except such laws are framed and held inviolate as will secure to each individual the free exercise of conscience, the right and control of property, and the protection of life." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 134:2)

With these three God given rights, I believe the second to be essential in the economic success of that governed. I personally believe that this is the key to economic success whereby the entire will ultimately be benefited by this principle. When government begins to increase its right to control and take property, the whole economic structure fails. There is not question that government requires sustaining taxes to administer it's obligations. But when government grows to the level that it demands more and more rights and control of properties, corruption is encouraged, waste is greater, entitlements with less self-reliance increases, and the entire population as a whole loses. Te right and control of property of the individual is paramount for the entire country or sovereignty.