Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Malachi 3

The words and prophecies of Malachi were so important that our Heavenly Father commanded the Savior to share these words with the people in the Americas. The Lord said to Judah -

"Your words have been stout against me, saith the LORD. Yet ye say, What have we spoken so much against thee?
14 Ye have said, It is vain to serve God: and what profit is it that we have kept his ordinance, and that we have walked mournfully before the LORD of hosts?" (Old Testament | Malachi 3:13 - 14)

The comment "It is vain to serve God: and what profit is it that we have kept his ordinance" seems as applicable today as in Malachi's day. For even -

"...now we call the proud happy; yea, they that work wickedness are set up; yea, they that tempt God are even delivered." (Old Testament | Malachi 3:15)

Isn't that true. Today we look at sports figures, celebritities, politicians, etc who do no keep "His" ordinances and commandments. They even seem "set up" and "delivered". But the Lord asks -

"But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth?" (Old Testament | Malachi 3:2)

I love some of the closing words of Malachi -

"...behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch." (Old Testament | Malachi 4:1)

I interpret "root nor branch" to mean neither parents or children. The promise is only -

"...unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings..."(Old Testament | Malachi 4:2)