Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Psalms 23

The 23rd Psalms seems to be the most quoted of all the psalms. These verses seemed to take on a little bit more meaning for me as I put my myself in the shoes of David who more than understood what it meant to be a shepherd and to sincerely love his sheep. David seems to see through the eyes of the sheep -

"THE LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." (Old Testament | Psalms 23:1 - 4)

It is interesting that years later, the Savior stated, maybe in reference to this psalm -

"I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine." (New Testament | John 10:14)

Another psalm I would like to reference seems the be the very qualifications of worthiness to enter the House of the Lord -

"Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place?
4 He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully." (Old Testament | Psalms 24:3 - 4)

Purity, chastity, testimony, and honesty are all conditions of worthiness to enter the Lord's House.

The Savior said at His passing -

"...Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost." (New Testament | Luke 23:46)

Years before, David wrote -

"Into thine hand I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth." (Old Testament | Psalms 31:5)

I somehow sense David was guided by the Spirit to write those words.