Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, May 07, 2010

2 Chronicles 34

As Josiah eliminated the worship of idols throughout Judah and repaire and amended the temple -

"...Hilkiah the priest found a book of the law of the LORD given by Moses." (Old Testament | 2 Chronicles 34:14)

It is always amazing what the written word can do for the children of men for -

"...when the king had heard the words of the law, that he rent his clothes." (Old Testament | 2 Chronicles 34:19)

Without the written word, man loses his way. We see this as Nephi contemplated what to do with Laban -

"...I remembered the words of the Lord which he spake unto me in the wilderness, saying that: Inasmuch as thy seed shall keep my commandments, they shall prosper in the land of promise.
15 Yea, and I also thought that they could not keep the commandments of the Lord according to the law of Moses, save they should have the law.
16 And I also knew that the law was engraven upon the plates of brass." (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 4:14 - 16)

We see the Lord's patterns as Josiah -

"...went up into the house of the LORD, and all the men of Judah, and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and the priests, and the Levites, and all the people, great and small: and he read in their ears all the words of the book of the covenant that was found in the house of the LORD.
31 And the king stood in his place, and made a covenant before the LORD, to walk after the LORD, and to keep his commandments, and his testimonies, and his statutes, with all his heart, and with all his soul, to perform the words of the covenant which are written in this book." (Old Testament | 2 Chronicles 34:30 - 31)

Is this not the first and great commandment.