Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

2 Kings 2

As Elijah was about to leave, he asked Elisha -

"...Ask what I shall do for thee, before I be taken away from thee. And Elisha said, I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me." (Old Testament | 2 Kings 2:9)

Many have suggested that Elisha desired to even double the miracles performed by Elijah, but I don't see it that way. Elisha had a very righteous desire to be granted an increased portion of the Spirit as he took on the mantle.

Isn't this the same of everyone that is called to serve the Lord. Does not each plead that the Lord will grant an increase of spiritual guidance from the Spirit that the will of the Lord may be manifest.

Week after week, we covenant -

"O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it, that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him and keep his commandments which he has given them..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 20:77)

For the very same reason that Elisha had -

"...that they may always have his Spirit to be with them..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 20:77)