Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, June 04, 2010

Job 2

As Job experienced such great tribulation of losing family,property and wealth, and then being overcome with sore boils, what impressed me the most was that even after all this as his wife questioned -

"...Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die." (Old Testament | Job 2:9)

...Job did not murmur against God, responding -

"...Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips." (Old Testament | Job 2:10)

You can sense his his pain and discouragement as he commented -

"Why died I not from the womb?..." (Old Testament | Job 3:11)

But he did not murmur against God. As three friends questioned all that had happened was a result of his unfaithfulness, you can sense the wisdom of Job -

"I know it is so of a truth: but how should man be just with God?
3 If he will contend with him, he cannot answer him one of a thousand.
4 He is wise in heart, and mighty in strength: who hath hardened himself against him, and hath prospered?" (Old Testament | Job 9:2 - 4)

His faith becomes more apparent as he contends -

"For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God..." (Old Testament | Job 19:25 - 26)

And then in the midst of his greatest suffering, Job makes this marvelous comment to the Lord -

"I know that thou canst do every thing, and that no thought can be withholden from thee.
3 Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not.
4 Hear, I beseech thee, and I will speak: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me.
5 I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee." (Old Testament | Job 42:2 - 5)

Job never seemed to murmur. This last comments suggest to me that man does not understand the meaning and purposes of God in all things, but acknowledging that are to wonderful for man to understand.