Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, April 12, 2010

2 Samuel 12

When is enough, enough?

David seemed to have everything one would want. The Lord even said -

"...I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul;
8 And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things." (Old Testament | 2 Samuel 12:7 - 8)

The Lord is suggesting that he would give David anything that his righteous heart would desire. It is apparent that the Lord had given him several wives. But for David the one thing the Lord would not give him was another man's wife. It seems to me that as time went on, David's appetite couldn't be satisfied. And because of lust and covetnous, he fell because of bathsheba. One of the Lord's most simple commandments to the children of Israel was -

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's." (Old Testament | Exodus 20:17)

The lesson here is that we should be content with all the Lord blesses us with. When is enough, enough?