Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, April 15, 2010

1 Kings 8

As one reads the temple dedicatory prayer of King Solomon, one cannot but compare the words of the Prophet Joseph Smith of the dedicatory prayer of the Kirtland Temple (Doctrine and Covenants, Section 109). We read with the completion of the temple of Solomon that -

"...it came to pass, when the priests were come out of the holy place, that the cloud filled the house of the LORD..." (Old Testament | 1 Kings 8:10)

In modern day, the Lord said of His house -

"Yea, I will appear unto my servants, and speak unto them with mine own voice, if my people will keep my commandments, and do not pollute this holy house." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 110:8)

I was particulary touched with the words of Solomon -

"That he may incline our hearts unto him, to walk in all his ways, and to keep his commandments, and his statutes, and his judgments, which he commanded our fathers." (Old Testament | 1 Kings 8:58)

"That all the people of the earth may know that the LORD is God, and that there is none else." (Old Testament | 1 Kings 8:60)

This again follows the first and great commandment -

"Wherefore, I give unto them a commandment, saying thus: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy might, mind, and strength; and in the name of Jesus Christ thou shalt serve him." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 59:5)