Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

1 Kings 13

As with many of the stories in the Old Testament, very little is given to full understanding of the story of the "man of God from Judah" and the "Old Prophet". Trying to read between the lines, there may be some lessons learned. In the case of the "man of God from Judah", it is apparent that there was a covenant or commitment made between he and the Lord. A covenant or commandment in this case -

"For so was it charged me by the word of the LORD, saying, Eat no bread, nor drink water, nor turn again by the same way that thou camest." (Old Testament | 1 Kings 13:9)

The man of God failed to keep that promise as he was enticed by another "old prophet" to go out of the way to eat with him. The consequence was devasting.

One would have to assume the "old prophet" was a righeous man. But even a good hearted, righteous man who may be lonely, who greatly desires company with another good man may lead one from promises and covenants made. What is interesting is they may have ended up being good friends for the old prophet (probably with some guilt) arranged -

"When I am dead, then bury me in the sepulchre wherein the man of God is buried; lay my bones beside his bones..." (Old Testament | 1 Kings 13:31)