Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Moses 6

When the Lord called Enoch to the work, Enoch responded -

"...Why is it that I have found favor in thy sight, and am but a lad, and all the people hate me; for I am slow of speech; wherefore am I thy servant?" (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 6:31)

Humility, the absence of pride, seems to be a important characteristic among those whom the Lord calls. We see this among many great prophets. Moses said much the same thing -

"...Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt?" (Old Testament | Exodus 3:11)

As Aaron and Miriam complained about Moses, we learn -

"(Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.)" (Old Testament | Numbers 12:3)

With Isaiah's calling, he exclaimed -

"...Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts." (Old Testament | Isaiah 6:5)

And Jeremiah also said -

"...I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child." (Old Testament | Jeremiah 1:6)

In response to a meek and humble Jeremiah, the Lord said -

"Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the LORD.
9 Then the LORD put forth his hand, and touched my mouth. And the LORD said unto me, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth.
10 See, I have this day set thee over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out, and to pull down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and to plant." (Old Testament | Jeremiah 1:8 - 10)

And returning to Enoch, the Lord said -

"...Go forth and do as I have commanded thee, and no man shall pierce thee. Open thy mouth, and it shall be filled, and I will give thee utterance, for all flesh is in my hands, and I will do as seemeth me good.
33 Say unto this people: Choose ye this day, to serve the Lord God who made you.
34 Behold my Spirit is upon you, wherefore all thy words will I justify; and the mountains shall flee before you, and the rivers shall turn from their course; and thou shalt abide in me, and I in you; therefore walk with me." (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 6:32 - 34)

All these men became great prophets because they obeyed and opened their mouths. The promise is to all the Lord calls who obey in meekness and humility.