Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, January 11, 2010

Moses 1

Because the focuses study of the Sunday School this year is the Old Testament, I've decided to first focus my reading and study on the Old Testament before I return to the Doctrine and Covenants.  In other years, I have read the Old Testament from cover to cover.  This year I have decided to pretty much follow the reading assignments outlined by the Sunday School.  As I began my reading this morning, what caught my attention was the words of Moses as -

"...Satan came tempting him, saying: Moses, son of man, worship me."  (Pearl of Great Price Moses 1:12)

That single line provides a great deal of incite and his motives as we learn  that Satan was -

"...an angel of God who was in authority in the presence of God, who rebelled against the Only Begotten Son whom the Father loved and who was in the bosom of the Father, was thrust down from the presence of God and the Son,
26 And was called Perdition, for the heavens wept over him—he was Lucifer, a son of the morning.
27 And we beheld, and lo, he is fallen! is fallen, even a son of the morning!  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 76:25 - 27)

Satan rebelled because he wanted the power of the Son.  This becomes even more apparent as Moses chose not to follow him -

"...Satan cried with a loud voice, and ranted upon the earth, and commanded, saying: I am the Only Begotten, worship me."  (Pearl of Great Price Moses 1:19)

Satan totally rebelled because he wanted power and glory and could not deal that God would forever have this glory.  As a result -

"...because that Satan rebelled against me, and sought to destroy the agency of man, which I, the Lord God, had given him, and also, that I should give unto him mine own power; by the power of mine Only Begotten, I caused that he should be cast down..."  (Pearl of Great Price Moses 4:3)

We must learn the opposite.  That in humility as we become submissive to God and his will, He promises to share His glory with us.