Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

D&C 87

As the Prophet Joseph Smith prophesied concerning -

"...the wars that will shortly come to pass, beginning at the rebellion of South Carolina, which will eventually terminate in the death and misery of many souls;
2 And the time will come that war will be poured out upon all nations, beginning at this place."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 87:1 - 2)

...the Lord counseled -

"Wherefore, stand ye in holy places, and be not moved, until the day of the Lord come..."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 87:8)

The promise seems to be that if we stand in holy places, it -

"...may be for a defense, and for a refuge from the storm, and from wrath when it shall be poured out without mixture upon the whole earth."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 115:6)

I personally consider three places that may qualify as "holy places" - the home, the stake, and the temple.  Each essential to in feeling the Spirit.  President Harold B. Lee said -

"I was down in Kelsey, Texas, last November, and I heard a group of anxious people asking, 'Is now the day for us to come up to Zion, where we can come to the mountain of the Lord, where we can be protected from our enemies?' I pondered that question, I prayed about it. What should we say to those people who were in their anxiety? I have studied it a bit, I have learned something of what the Spirit has taught, and I know now that the place of safety in this world is not in any given place; it doesn't make so much difference where we live; but the all-important thing is how we live, and I have found that security can come to Israel only when we keep the commandments, when they live so that they can enjoy the companionship, the direction, the comfort, and the guidance of the Holy Spirit of the Lord, when they are willing to listen to these men whom God has set here to preside as His mouthpieces, and when we obey the counsels of the Church." (Harold B. Lee, CR, April 1943, pp. 128-29.)