Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

D&C 25

This coming Sunday, the stake is holding an annual bishopric training meeting.  The wives are also invited to participate in their own meeting later in the morning under the direction of stake leadership wives.  As I read this morning, the counsel of the Lord to Emma Smith seemed to catch my attention as He said -

"Murmur not because of the things which thou hast not seen, for they are withheld from thee and from the world, which is wisdom in me in a time to come."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 25:4)

In this case, I'm sure the Lord was referring to the fact that Emma had not been given the privilege to see the plates or some other artifacts.  But this holds true to many of the wives of bishops today as they serve as Judges in Israel on confidential matters.  The Lord counsels Emma -

"...the office of thy calling shall be for a comfort unto my servant, Joseph Smith, Jun., thy husband, in his afflictions, with consoling words, in the spirit of meekness."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 25:5)

And when appropriate -

"...thou shalt go with him at the time of his going..."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 25:6)

Even -

"...be unto him for a scribe, while there is no one to be a scribe for him..."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 25:6)

The counsels concludes with -

"...lift up thy heart and rejoice, and cleave unto the covenants which thou hast made.
14 Continue in the spirit of meekness, and beware of pride. Let thy soul delight in thy husband, and the glory which shall come upon him."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 25:13 - 14)