Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, September 11, 2009

D&C 22

In the closing words of the Book of Judges we learn -

"In those days there was no king in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes."
(Old Testament Judges 21:25)

With the organization of the Church there were some that thought that they had already complied with the ordinance of Baptism. In ignorance, they thought that which was done was "right in his own eyes" which seems so prevelant today. The Lord responded -

"...all old covenants have I caused to be done away in this thing; and this is a new and an everlasting covenant, even that which was from the beginning.
2 Wherefore, although a man should be baptized an hundred times it availeth him nothing, for you cannot enter in at the strait gate by the law of Moses, neither by your dead works.
3 For it is because of your dead works that I have caused this last covenant and this church to be built up unto me, even as in days of old.
4 Wherefore, enter ye in at the gate, as I have commanded, and seek not to counsel your God..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 22:1 - 4)

In parable, the Lord had already taught -

"...He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber." (New Testament John 10:1)

It is the Lord, the Good Sheperd, that determines the door, not us. The Lord made it very clear that we are to follow his commandments and do what He deems as right, not what we think is right in our own eyes.